Lemon + Poppy Seed Cake with Raspberry Buttercream
This is the number one best seller at our Cambridge branch, we decorate it according to what’s in season, or however we fancy on the day. One of these cakes can disappear in a matter of minutes on the counter! It’s super simple to make too. Vegan baking really is a case of mixing the wet ingredients, mixing the dry ingredients, mixing together, put into the tin and bake.
Makes 1 x 9 inch tine (12 portions)
Plain flour 3 cups/870g
Castor sugar 1 cup + 2 tbsp/250g
Baking powder 1.5 tsp/7g
Bicarbonate of soda 1.5 tsp/7g
Lemon (juice & zest) x 1.5 large
Rice milk 1.75 cups + 2 tbsp/425ml
Sunflower oil .75 cups/187.5ml
Poppy seeds 2 tbsp/25g
For butter icing:
Vegan margarine 50g
Icing sugar 200g
Lemon (zest & juice) x 1/2
Couple of drops of pink food colouring
- Grease and line 1 x 9 inch tins
- Measure dry ingredients into one bowl and wet into another
- Combine together and mix until smooth
- Pour into lined tins and bake for 45-60 minutes at 150°C
- For butter icing combine margarine, lemon juice and zest and icing sugar, raspberries and mix until smooth (careful not to split!). Add food colouring depending on how pink you like it!
- Ice cake when cool and finish with lemon zest, poppy seeds and berries, or you can go really fancy as we did with this one!